A recipe for Flammkuchen a very thin crust pizza-like dish - it originates from Elsass, a French region close to where I grew up. I like the recipe because it takes 10 minutes to prepare and another 10 minutes to bake. It goes well with a green salad as a side.
- 🍽️ Servings:2
- 400g Pizza dough (either bought or from Pizza Dough)
- 1 onion (I prefer the red ones for optical reasons)
- 150g bacon (you can replace it with mushrooms or other vegetables)
- 2 big spoons of sour creme or creme fraiche
- we start by flattening the dough. Even if you buy thin crust that is already sold as ‘super thin’ you have to make it even thinner. Make it so thin that you can fill 2 baking sheets with it (yes, you will make two large flammkuchen - since they are thin you need one per person) :) I take two pieces of parchment paper, put the dough in between and flatten it using a bottle (e.g. wine). It has to be as thin as possible (1-2 mm).
- once the dough is flat, put it on your baking tray and preheat the oven at 450 to 500 Fahrenheit
- distribute the sour cream evenly (it should be a very thin layer, just barely covering the dough
- cut the onion and bacon into small pieces and distribute onion, bacon/vegetables (also in small pieces) evenly
- put in the oven for 10 minutes and take it out when it is getting a bit dark. The thin parts will get a bit brown
- put salt and pepper
I usually take it down from the baking tray and let it cool down for 2-5 minutes before eating
Recipe tags: french pork quick