Strawberry Compote (клубничный компот) is a chilled sweet drink that is popular in many post-soviet countries. It is similar to strawberry jam or conserves in taste (less sweet/concentrated flavor), but resembles fruit punch in looks and consistency. It is very easy to adjust this recipe and scale it up/down.
FYI, I suggest using organic strawberries for this (may be on the expensive side), it makes a world of difference in flavor.
- ⏲️ Prep time: ~20 min
- 🍳 Cook time: 5-10 min
- 🍽️ Servings: 16? (It depends)
- Strawberries (two standard packs works best)
- Get 3 bowls and a butter knife (if the butter knife has a point, that will work better)
- Dump out both packs of strawberries into a sieve or bowl and wash them thoroughly.
- Remove the stem and leaves/crown of the strawberry. The crown can be peeled by hand, then use the butter knife to cut out the stem.
- Large strawberries can be cut in half.
- Once all of the strawberries are clean, put them in a standard 4 quart (3.8 L) pot. Fill it with water to the brim.
- Put the pot to boil. The strawberries will gradually lose their color, which is completely normal.
- Once it boils, let it cook for 5 mins.
- After five minutes are over, turn off the heat and incrementally add sugar to your preference. I suggest 1-1.5 cups (237 to 355 grams) of sugar for 4 quarts (3.8 L) of compote. Taste between helpings of sugar to make sure its not oversweetened.
- Let the pot cool, then refrigerate. Serve chilled.