Similar to an Italian frittata or Spanish tortilla, Tunisian tajine maadnous is an easy & delicious egg omelette filled with chicken, parsley, and spices.
- ⏲️ Prep time: 20 min
- 🍳 Cook time: 35 min
- 🍽️ Servings: 12
- 1 lb chicken breasts diced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 small bunch parsley (about 1.5 cups, chopped, loosely packed)
- 8 large eggs
- 6 oz cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika or cayenne pepper if you want some heat
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp caraway
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Mix the spices together (grinding any whole spices if necessary) and set them aside.
- In a large frying pan or pot over medium heat, saute the onions in about 1 tbsp of olive oil until tender.
- Toss chicken with 1/2 of the spice mix. Add this to the pan and brown.
- Add the potatoes and the water to the pan. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cook uncovered until potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir chopped parsley into the cooked mixture and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C), and grease a medium (2 quart/liter) baking pan with the remaining olive oil.
- Thoroughly whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then mix in the cheese. Stir in the chicken, potato, and parsley mixture, along with the remaining spice mixture. Stir until well-combined, then pour into the oiled baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until set in the center. Allow to cool, and serve warm or at room temperature. Serve with some harissa, if you like.