- ⏲️ Prep time: 30 min (plus one hour rising)
- 🍳 Cook time: 30 min
- 1kg white wheat flour
- ½L milk
- 125g butter
- 14g dry yeast
- 1½T salt
- 1 egg
- Cut or tear up butter and put in skillet with milk on low heat (This is so the ingredients are not too clod, temperature should not exceed 31 C).
- Put the flour in a large bow with the yeast, salt, milk and butter.
- Mix and kneed for at least 15 minutes making sure to stretch the dough a lot.
- Let the dough rest in a warm spot for at least one hour (temperature should not be higher than 31 C).
- Start heating an oven at 200 C (no need to preheat, it will be a good temperature once you are done braiding)
- Cut the dough in two or three sections (different according to region), then stretch and roll into long pieces.
- Braid the strips, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and brush down with a beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes testing with a wooden skewer in the widest part when done. IF the skewer comes out clean, you are done, if not add 5 minutes and repeat.
- Wait for the bread to cool before cutting.
- Thijs Wester - website
Recipe tags: swiss bread cheesefare