Serve with a squeeze of lemon and alongside turmeric flatbread.
- ⏲️ Prep time: 10 min
- 🍳 Cook time: 30 min
- 🍽️ Servings: 6
- 1 cup Red Lentils
- 5 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp Red Paper Flakes
- 1 large Onion, finely diced
- 1 large Carrot, diced
- 4 tsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Dried Mint
- 1/2 tsp Thyme or Oregano
- 4 cup Vegetable Broth
- 4 cup Water
- Reserve half the paprika and red pepper flakes, set aside.
- Pick through lentils for any foreign debris, rinse two or three times, drain and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute 2 Tbsp of the olive oil and and onion with a pinch of salt for 3 minutes. Add the carrots and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir it around for 1 minute. Add cumin, mint, thyme, and the paprika/pepper flakes not reserved - and saute for 10 seconds to bloom the spices. Immediately add the lentils, water, broth, and salt. Bring the soup to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a medium, cover the pot halfway, and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils have fallen apart and the carrots are fully softened.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat, and swirl in the reserved paprika and red pepper flakes. The moment you see the paprika start to bubble, remove the pan from the heat.
- Blend the soup to reach the desired consistency. Taste for seasoning.
- Divide soup into bowls and drizzle the paprika oil on top of each serving.
- Joel Maxuel