Scandinavian Coffee Cake
- ⏲️ Prep time: 15 min
- 🍳 Cook time: ≈ 3 hours
- 🍽️ Servings: 1 cake
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm (not hot) water
- 3 cup sifted enriched Flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- melted butter, or margarine
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- chopped walnuts
- Scald milk.
- Add shortening, sugar, and salt.
- Stir until sugar dissolves; cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in water; combine with milk mixture.
- Stir in half the flour; add eggs; beat well.
- Add enough of remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured board; knead till smooth and elastic.
- (See a recipe for white bread) put in a greased bowl; brush with shortening; cover; let rise in a warm place, 80Â° to 85Â° till double in bulk (about 2 hours).
- Turn out on floured board; roll into a rectangle 8 by 12 inches.
- Brush with butter.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up like jelly roll; shape into a ring on greased baking sheet; pinch ends.
- From the outside, cut through the ring toward center almost all the way through in 1- inch slices.
- Fan out slices slightly to side.
- Brush with shortening; cover; let it rise for about 45 minutes or till double in bulk.
- Meanwhile set oven for moderate 375°F (190°C).
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- While warm spread with confectioners' sugar icing; sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
Recipe tags: sweet dessert cake cheesefare