Slow-cooked Pork Carnitas
This recipe makes a lot and is super easy. A whole roast usually makes enough for a few meals (depending on how many people will be eating it). Leftovers can be refrigerated for 4-5 days.
- ⏲️ Prep time: 15 min
- 🍳 Cook time: 8 hr 30 min
- 🍽️ Servings: 10-11
- 2 ½ lbs. boneless pork shoulder
- 6 cloves of garlic, cut into slivers
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon sazon
- ¼ teaspoon dry oregano
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dry adobo seasoning
- Season pork with kosher salt and pepper.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium-high heat, brown pork on all sides.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, insert blade into pork, cutting small holes and insert garlic slivers as far in as you can.
- Pour chicken broth in slow cooker.
- Add pork and season with cumin, adobo, sazon, and oregano.
- Add bay leaves and chipotle peppers.
- Cover and cook low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, shred pork using 2 forks and combine with juices.
- Let cook for another 15-30 mins.
Recipe tags: pork slowcooked mexican