Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancake. Instead of using air bubbles to lighten the pancake, thin strips of cabbage provide levity to the cake. This is a very popular street food in Japan, and can be topped with all sorts of different ingredients, as “Okonomiyaki” roughly translates to “Grilled how you like”.
- ⏲️ Prep time: 10 min
- 🍳 Cook time: 10 min
- 🍽️ Servings: 1
- 125g flour
- 1 egg
- 125ml water
- Thinly sliced meat, any kind can do, sliced pork, beef, even bacon
- Dashi powder or any desired seasonings
- 2-4 leaves cabbage
Pinch salt to taste
The following options are traditional but can be substituted with any desired toppings
- Tonkatsu sauce (sometimes known as Bulldog sauce) in squirt bottle
- Mayonnaise in squirt bottle
- Sriacha in squirt bottle
- Katsuobushi (Dried bonito flakes)
- Nori (Dried roasted seaweed)
- Chop cabbage into thin strips.
- Whisk water and egg together in a bowl and then whisk in flour, salt, and seasonings.
- Fold cabbage into batter with as few folds as possible to completely work the cabbage in.
- Fry meat in a pre-heated cast-iron pan or griddle on medium-high heat until brown on one side, flip, and immediately pour batter on top after flipping.
- Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes and either flip the pancake, or move under a broiler to cook the top for another 2-3 minutes.
- Move pancake to a serving plate meat side up and squirt tonkatsu sauce, mayonnaise, and sriracha over the top in a zig-zag pattern
- Sprinkle katsuobushi and nori on top of the sauces and the okonomiyaki is ready to serve.
Recipe tags: quick japanese