Creamy french lobster soup perfect for the hollidays, you can optionally replace the lobster with any other shellfish.
- ⏲️ Prep time: 20
- 🍳Cook time: 30 min
- 🍽️ Servings: 2 litres
- 1 live lobster that weighs ~750 grams
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp concentrated tomato puree
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 glass dry white wine
- 2 litres fish stock
- 1 bayleaf
- 2 twigs of thyme
- fresh parsley
- heavy cream
- canola oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Finely dice the onions, carrots, shallots and garlic and set aside for later.
- Blanche the lobster in boiling water for 2 minutes, remove from the water and let it leak.
- Cut it down the middle and remove the meat from the shell, set the meat aside for later.
- Place a stockpot on medium high heat and heat up enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, add the lobster shells and cook them until they are bright red.
- Remove the oil from the pan and discard it, add your butter to the shells.
- Add all diced vegetables and let it sauté for 2 minutes, add a dash of cognac and flambé, lower the heat to medium low.
- Rougly dice the tomatoes and add them together with the tomato puree, once again let it sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and give it all a stir, let it dry up in the pan.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and once the wine has dried up a bit add the fish stock.
- Tie up your herbs using kitchen twine and add them to your pot.
- Let it simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, while the soup is boiling take the lobster meat and dice it into bite-sized pieces.
- After the soup is done boiling run it through a fine sieve.
- Bring the strained soup back to a light boil and add the diced lobster pieces.
- Let the soup boil for 4 more minutes to heat up the lobster and serve, add pepper and salt to taste.
- Finish off in the plate with a bit of heavy cream.
- Yiusa, eth
Recipe tags: french seafood soup