Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
This recipe is a simplified version of AB's Seafood Gumbo – youtube
- ⏲️ Prep time: 15 min
- 🍳 Cook time: 130 min
- 🍽️ Servings: 4-6
- 2-3 lbs Shrimp
- 2 lbs Andouille Sausage
- 2 (32 oz) Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup finely chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 cup finely chopped Green Pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped Celery
- 2 tbsp minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Cajun or Creole Seasoning (Creole Kick)
- 1 12 oz. bottle of Beer
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 tsp dried Parsley
- 3 - 5 Bay Leafs
- 1/2 cup Green Onions
- 1-2 cups White Rice
- (Optional) 1 Jalapeño Pepper
- (Optional) Instead of chicken broth, you can use your own shrimp stock
- Prep the vegetables
- Get the roux started: Mix oil and flour over heat until it turns into a dark chocolate color. Low - medium heat for about 30 minutes or medium - high for 15 - 20 minutes if you’re feeling brave.
- Ensure to stir frequently while adding the following ingredients.
- Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add celery and peppers. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add beer.
- Add broth.
- Add seasonings and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Add sausage and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, simmer for 90 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Add shrimp and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve over white rice.
- (Optional) For leftovers, boil gumbo with dry white rice and turn it into a jambalaya.
Recipe tags: american fish rice