Greek Easter Cookies
A very simple, delicious, and traditional greek recipe for easter cookies.
- ⏲️ Prep time: 30-45 min
- 🍳 Cook time: 18-22 min
- 🍽️ Servings: Five-dozen individual cookies
- 1 lb of unsalted butter
- 3 cups of sugar
- 10 eggs
- 6 tsps baking powder
- 2 tsps baker’s ammonium
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 2 tsp powder vanilla
- Zest of 3 oranges
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup warmed milk
- 1 egg yolk whisked to brush cookies
- Enough flour to make a soft pliable dough (about 9 cups or a bit more)
- Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and blend well between each.
- Add ammonium to the warmed milk and add to the butter, sugar, and egg mixture.
- Start adding flour to the wet mixture and at this time also add the baking powder, vanilla, lemon/orange zest, salt and orange juice.
- Mix well and start adding flour slowly until you are able to roll the dough easily between your hands. (This is a big batch, if your mixer can’t handle the volume, then knead by hand).
- Form dough in a ball and place in a big bowl. Let it rest for about 30 minutes, cover it with saran wrap and keep in oven or draft free area.
- Line pans with parchment paper.
- Form dough by hand in ½ inch thick 3 inch long strips and then twist together or any shape you like. If the dough is sticky dip hands in oil.
- Brush with beaten egg yolks and bake at 350F for about 20 minutes or 325F convection. Watch carefully as they can burn easily!
Rufflikerex: MD file preparation, recipe grammar fixes. Anonymous relative of Rufflikerex: Original recipe.
Recipe tags: dessert snack greek easter