Classic French sauce, base for a lot of dishes
- ⏲️ Prep time: 0m
- 🍳 Cook time: 15-20 min
- 5 Teaspoons unsalted butter
- 5 Teaspoons flour
- 1 litre whole milk
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Put your butter in your pot and let is slowly melt on medium to low heat.
- Once the butter is fully melted add the flour and stir it in to make a roux.
- Keep stiring your roux on medium low heat until it gets lightly golden brown and starts melling a bit nutty.
- Add about a glass of your whole milk and stir until combined, repeat this process until you have a thick sauce in your pan and new milk you add easily combines. Never stop stirring.
- At this point you can add the rest of your milk, if you skip the previous step you will end up with lumps of roux that are hard to get out.
- Lower your heat to low and keep stiring don’t forget to get in the corners of the pot because your sauce will burn easily.
- Once your sauce has the desired thickness give it a taste and add your salt and pepper until it is to your liking. A pinch of nutmeg, preferably freshly grated, will also go a long way.