This one is a delicious slow cooked beef stewed in beer. The smoked bacon is not in the traditional recipe but it’s good. Don’t add it if you want the real deal.
- 🍳 Cook time: 4-8 hours
- 🍽️ Servings: 4
- beef (chuck, brisket, oxtail…): 1kg | 2 1/4lb
- gingerbread: 5 slices
- brown sugar: 1tbsp
- brown beer (try to get a strong, tasty one): 1L | 4 cups
- onions: 400g | 1lb
- diced smoked bacon: 250g | 1/2lb (optional)
- olive oil
- cloves (not garlic cloves, just cloves): 5
- juniper berries: 5
- bay leaves: 2
- Cut meat into big chunks
- Dice onions
- Sear the meat on high heat in a large stainless or cast iron pot until golden brown, using olive oil. Don’t overcrowd the pot. Meanwhile, start sweating the onions in a pan, with the butter, and the smoked bacon.
- Set meat aside, deglaze the pot with a bit of beer, put in the onions, bacons and the brown sugar.
- Once the sugar is melted and the pot is deglazed properly, put the meat back in.
- Pour the rest of the beer into the pot.
- Toast the slices of gingerbread with a bit of mustard, put in the pot.
- Add thyme, bay leaves, cloves, juniper berries
- Add salt.
- Let it simmer for 4 to 8 hours. Check on it regularly and add water if you feel like the sauce is too thick and you need to cook it longer.
- Serve with a nice mashed potato.