Bolo do Caco (Caco Bread)
A tradicional Madeiran-Portuguese Bread
- ⏲️ Prep time: 1 hour
- 🍳 Cook time: 45 min
- 💤 Rest time: 3 days
- 🍽️ Servings: 10 breads
- 1¾ lb sweet potato
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup water (warm at 75F / 35C)
- 3 tablespoons active dry - yeast
- 3 teaspoons salt
Metric - 750 g sweet potato - 1 kg all-purpose flour - 150 ml water (warm at 75F / 35C) - 3 tablespoons active dry yeast - 3 teaspoons salt
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into large pieces and place in a saucepan.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil and cook covered for 20 minutes over 1. medium-high heat.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and mash them. Add salt.
- Mix the yeast and water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour the flour into a large salad bowl.
- Dig a well in the center and add the mashed sweet potato and yeast.
- Knead to obtain a homogeneous and elastic dough.
- Let the dough ferment for 3 days in the refrigerator.
- After 3 days, divide the dough into 8 to 10 pieces of equal weight on a work surface dusted with flour.
- Form balls and flatten them to a thickness of about 1 inch (2,5cm).
- Let them rest for 30 minutes in a warm place, protected from drafts.
- Heat a dry pan over medium-high heat and cook the bolos do caco on both sides until a thin and slightly hard crust is formed. Turn them over very regularly.
- Then take each bolo do caco with tongs and turn them around on the hot pan to bake the sides.
- Serve warm or lukewarm with salted butter and parsley.
Recipe tags: bread portuguese