A swiss favorite, Älplermagronen combines pretty much everything you have at your disposal in your alpine chalet. It’s the definition of comfort food for the Swiss.
- 🍳 Cook time: ~30 minutes
- 🍽️ Servings: 4
- ~150g (1/3 lb) bacon cubes
- 3 onions (medium size)
- 400g (15 oz) potatoes (firm/waxy)
- 1 - 2L (1/4 - 1/2 gal) milk
- 400g (15 oz) macaroni (dry weight)
- ~150g (1/3 lb) medium soft cheese. Appenzeller works best. Gruyère would be my go-to alternative.
- a jar of apple sauce
Feel free to vary these amounts, it’s not like this is anything strict.
- Fry bacon cubes in pot (this pot will be used for everything so choose an appropriately large one).
- Cut onions into half-rings and let them sweat in the same pot. Add some butter if your bacon was not fatty enough.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into ~1 cm/half inch cubes.
- When the onions have become sufficiently cooked, add potatoes.
- Top everything with milk and let the potatoes cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add macaroni and the remaining milk to cover everything. Most of the milk will be absorbed by the macaroni.
- Shred your cheese.
- A minute or two before the macaroni are done, add the shredded cheese into the pot. It should appear a bit too runny in the pot. While cooling it will increase in viscosity quite a bit. If the final texture is not creamy enough, it is most likely due to using the wrong cheese.
- Season to taste. (Needs quite a bit of salt). Nutmeg also works well here.
- Serve with apple sauce. Should be eaten together, not as a dessert.
- Alexander Bocken