This is American-style stroganoff.
- chicken stock
- Worchestershire sauce or something similar
- dijon or honey dijon mustard
- egg noodles
- Dice an onion.
- Cut beef into bite-size strips. Ground beef can also be used (although not traditional), if beef is compacted into strips of similar size.
- Season the beef with kosher salt, freshly-ground pepper, or any other desired seasoning.
- Heat a skillet on high with butter or olive oil. Cook the onions until about translucent.
- Begin adding the beef strips and let them cook, stirring to prevent sticking or unequal cooking.
- Meanwhile, heat up a pot of highly salted water until it boils. Then add the egg noodles. Do not cook for too long as egg noodles might begin disintegrating when overcooked.
- Once beef is cooked, pour off the liquid produced from the meat.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan and continue cooking.
- Make roux (by mixing a small amount of flour with either water or melted butter). Mix this into the beef and stock as it cooks to thicken it to the desired consistency.
- Add Worchestershire sauce and the dijon mustard to taste.
- Serve on a plate with a scoop of egg noodles covered with the beef sauce.
Recipe tags: american beef