- 1 pound (450g) tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 jalapeño or serrano chilies
- ½ cup (26g) chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp (40ml) oil
- Place tomatillos, garlic, and chilies in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Simmer until tomatillos turn pale green, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer tomatillos, garlic, and chilies into a blender or food processor. Add the onion and cilantro. Puree until smooth, then salt to taste, usually a teaspoon (6g) will suffice.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan until hot but not smoking. Pour puree into the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened somewhat, about 6-8 minutes.
Makes about 2 cups (475mL). Refrigerate leftovers
Recipe tags: mexican sauce