Potato and Eggplant (Aubergine) Curry
A simple and tasty curry that is easy to customise.
- 1 large eggplant (aubergine)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions (finely sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 400 ml can chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- red peppers (capsicums)
- Heat the oven to approximately 200 °C (392 °F).
- Cut the eggplant into 1 cm (⅓") slices and place on a tray. Cover with a layer of oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook the sliced onions with oil until soft on medium (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the garlic, garam masala, turmeric and ground coriander and allow to release aroma for a minute or two.
- Tip in the canned tomatoes and coconut milk. Add the eggplant, and chunks of potato.
- It is possible to add additional vegetables at this step. I have on occasion added carrots and red peppers (capsicums).
- Cover and simmer for ~15-20 minutes.
- Boil 2 serves of rice
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until reduced.
- A nice optional addition at this point is paneer.
- Serve with the rice
- Luke Chadwick - website
Recipe tags: indian curry potato fasting