Francesinha is a traditional dish from the city of Porto. The francesinha in its special sandwich variation consists of linguiça, ham, cold meat and beef steak, covered with melted cheese.
- linguiça (type of Portuguese sausage)
- Portuguese cheese
- beef meat
- blonde beer
- fried tomato sauce
- port wine
- beef broth
- salted butter
- minced garlic
- olive oil
- piripiri (Portuguese chili)
Directions for the sauce
- In a big saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and the onions. Cook them until golden.
- Pour the beer and simmer until the alcohol evaporates. It’s around 5 minutes.
- Pour the beef broth, the fried tomato sauce, the port wine, the Piripiri and the butter to give shine to the sauce. Add the cornstarch slowly avoiding lumps. Simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce looks thick.
Directions for the Francesinhas
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F)
- Cook the beef chopped in small strings. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the linguiças sliced in half lengthwise.
- Take 4 slices of bread for each Francesinha. Cut the center of two slices to make room for the filling. The other two will be the bottom and top of the francesinhas.
- Fill the bread with the sausages, the beef and the ham roughly chopped. Cover the francesinhas with the cheese and melt in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Cover with the sauce and serve with french fries.
- Artur Mancha – Pleroma
Recipe tags: portuguese beef